Family Favorites - Green Tomato Pie


  One of the benefits of having a garden is that you have green tomatoes. A pie we like and that I rarely get to make is Green Tomato Pie. This is a dessert pie not a dinner pie. You can make it with just green tomatoes or with a combination of green tomatoes and apples. 
  I am going to give you the recipe for the tomato apple pie from the Farm Journal Complete Pie Book 1965 edition. If you have access to green tomatoes I hope you will give this a try.
Green Tomato-Apple Pie
2 cups peeled, quartered and thinly sliced green tomatoes
3 cups thin peeled apple slices
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 to 3 Tablespoons flour (depends on how juicy your fruit is)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter

To peel green tomatoes easily, place in boiling water. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes and then into ice water. Skins should slide off.
Combine tomatoes, apples, sugars. flour, cinnamon and salt. Place in a pastry-lined 9” pie plate. Dot with butter. Adjust top crust and flute edges: cut steam vents.
You can also use a lattice top crust which is what I usually do.
Bake in hot oven (425°) 50 to 60 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Are these dessert apples you are using or tart cooking apples?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any baking apple will work. I like Braeburns with this recipe. It is sweet enough to go with the tomatoes and still bakes well.
    I would not use a apple that is for eating fresh such as Red Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a huge hailstorm so I canned up picalilli and green tomato salsa. I still have some green tomatoes left so I think I may give this a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.