Apple Streusel Mince Pie




I always make one Mincemeat Pie a year. Lyle and Bettie's boss eat Mincemeat pie so this is for them. This year I decided to try this recipe for Apple-Streusel-Mince Pie from the Betty Crocker Perfect Baking Every Time cookbook. It looked like a good variation on the regular Mince pie. I used Braeburn apples and Mince Meat that I can buy at the meat counter at my local Fareway store. It has Sherry in it and I would recommend that if you buy Mincemeat in the jar, if it doesn’t have sherry or some other liquor that you add a small amount. The pie is in the oven as I am typing this so don’t know how it will taste (not that I would taste it). Sure smells good though.
Apple Streusel Mince Pie
3 cups thinly sliced pared apples (about 3 medium)
3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons melted butter
9 inch unbaked pie crust (I used one I had in the freezer)
1 jar (27 ounces) ready to use mincemeat
½ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
⅓ cup firm butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup chopped nuts  (if someone is allergic to nuts leave them out)
Heat oven to 450°. Mix apple slices, melted butter and the 3 tablespoons flour; turn into pie crust. Spoon mincemeat over apple mixture. 
Mix ½ cup flour, the brown sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in ⅓ cup butter until crumbly; stir in the nuts. Sprinkle over mincemeat.
Bake 10 minutes at 425°. Reduce oven temperature to 375°. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 375°or until crust is golden brown. 
Cool before cutting 8 servings
Betty Crocker Perfect Baking Every Time 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.